[R] ML-Fit for truncated distributions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 22:55:23 CET 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Carsten Steinhoff wrote:

> maybe that my Question is a "beginner"-Question, but up to now, my research
> didn't bring any useful result.
>
> I'm trying to fit a distribution (e.g. lognormal) to a given set of data
> (ML-Estimation). I KNOW about my data that there is a truncation for all
> data below a well known threshold. Is there an R-solution for an
> ML-estimation for this kind of data-problem? As far as I've seen the
> "fitdistr" in package "MASS" doesn't solve this problem.

I can intrepret that two ways.  If you have a truncated lognormal
distribution on say (-a, Inf), fitdistr will do this: you just need to
give it the density of the truncated distribution.

If the observations are rather censored (they are smaller than something,
but the value is not otherwise known), for a lognormal you can use survreg
with reversed time.

Function mle() in package stats4 is useful for general MLE problems.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk