[R] MacOS X and vectorized files (emf, wmf,...)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 09:14:42 CET 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Patrick Giraudoux H wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> We are organising practical trainings for students with R 2.0.1 under MacOS
> X. I am used with R 2.0.1 under Windows XP and thus has been surprised not to
> find functions in the MacOS X version of R providing vectorized chart outputs
> to a file. For instance the equivalent of:
>
> win.metafile()
>
> or
>
> savePlot()
>
> ... including a wmf or emf option.
>
> Can one obtain only jpeg or bitmap or eps files with R under MacOS X or did I
> miss something?

Why did you expect to find Windows-specific formats under MacOS X?  (BTW,
these are often bitmap formats.)

You missed pdf (the most obvious one on MacOS X whose native graphic is
based on PDF) and svgDevice on CRAN.

Both postscript() and pdf() provide vector graphics (which may be what you
mean by `vectorized chart') plots on all R platforms, as does xfig()
although it is less useful unless you have xfig/fig2dev.

You will find lots of mentions over the years about making wmf/emf on
Unix, but that is for use on Windows.  The format is poorly documented,
but it would be possible to write a wmf() graphics device -- no one has
contributed one as yet.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk