[R] error preparing a package for lazy loading with R CMD

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 30 20:47:53 CET 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Patrick Giraudoux H wrote:

> Trouble just solved by Uwe Ligge! See below:
>
>>> You have a wrong "Built" field in your DESCRIPTION file!!!
>>> "Built: R 2.0.1;windows". Please don't specify such a line yourself, "R
>>> CMD build" does it for you.

Actually, installation does it: build adds Packaged: (which I have alwasys
thought potentially confusing).

> Ashes on my head and all these sort of things...

One of the changes that has been in 2.0.1 patched for some time is (from
its NEWS)

PACKAGE INSTALLATION CHANGES

     o	A package DESCRIPTION file which contains a Built field (it
 	should not!) is now worked around, with loud warnings.

BTW, you would have benefited from having read (in ONEWS now)

 	Packages are by default installed using lazy loading if they
 	have more than 25Kb of R code and did not use a saved image.
 	This can be overridden by INSTALL --[no-]lazy or via a field
 	in the DESCRIPTION file.  Note that as with --save, any other
 	packages which are required must be already installed.

and then you would have not found well-documented things `strange'.

The NEWS file is the `release notes' of R and does need to be read at each
new release.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk