[R] Why am I not getting "some" r-help posts?

Marc R. Feldesman feldesmanm at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 29 03:31:52 CET 2005

At 01:59 PM 1/28/2005, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
 >"Marc R. Feldesman" <feldesmanm at pdx.edu> writes:
 >
 >> At the risk of being flamed for mortal stupidity, I'm trying to figure
 >> out what could have possibly changed (at my end almost certainly) that
 >> make Brian Ripley's posts (in particular) not show up on my mail
 >> server (at least not on the one where I receive my email).
 >
 >Did you remember to turn off the Oxford-sarcasm filter? ;-)
 >
 >        -p

that was the first one I turned off :-)

Really, I have NO filters whatsoever on the primary email server, which is
why it lets through everything including Brian's emails to r-help.  What
seems to be happening is that when emails get forwarded on to my "real"
email systems (not the University's system but my private home network and
my private office network), they simply vanish without a trace.  I don't
use procmail, forward or spam assassin on any of these network systems and
the email clients all have their own built-in filters.  If I manually
forward Brian's messages from my University's main network they will now
arrive at my office network, but not my home network.  But automatic
forwarding doesn't send any of his messages anywhere.  On my home system,
the one I'm writing from right now, I use Eudora Pro 6.0.3.  It has its own
proprietary version of spam filtering (built on spam assassin).  Its rules
and filters are easily accessible and I've renamed the whole filter file so
that NOTHING gets filtered at all.  I've even turned off the built in spam
filtering so that it will do nothing to process these messages.  Still no
messages from Brian Ripley.

If I didn't have such high regard for Brian's comments, I wouldn't bother
pursuing this as vigorously as I do.  After all, I still *can* read his
comments if I go to the main mail server, but that really defeats the
purpose of the forwarding system setup.

So I persist in trying to sort this all out.  I have talked in greater
detail with our Unix team and they are investigating this on several
parallel lines.  They are checking external filter configurations on their
server to make certain that somewhere along the line Brian or Ripley (but
not ox.uk) didn't get inadvertently killfiled as Peter (or someone else)
suggested.

I'll post back when I get to the root of this.  Thanks for all the private
and public suggestions.  I did really enjoy the "Brian Ripley sarcasm
filter".  However, as a fan of sarcasm of the British variety, I rather
revel in reading Brian's tart comments.  They sound an awful lot like some
of things I write on student papers.

Cheers and thanks again,

Dr. Marc R. Feldesman
Professor and Chairman Emeritus
Anthropology Department - Portland State University
email:  feldesmanm at pdx.edu
email:  feldesmanm at gmail.com
fax:    503-725-3905

"E-mail is not to be used to pass on factual information or important
data.  It is for departmental use only"  Directive to Federal Employees