[R] A "rude" question

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:32:13 CET 2005

How do you know that any results from any software package are
trustable?  I'm not sure that the number of authors has anything to do
with it.

If you are extremely paranoid, you can reprogram everything you do a
few times in a large number of completely different languages written
by different people, and top it off with hand calculations.   Then you
should do this across 4-5 operating systems with different core
libraries.

I'm somewhat joking in the second paragraph, but very serious in the
first.  How and why do YOU trust software?  What criteria fit?

Perhaps a better question would be to ask by what criteria people use
to "trust" software, using R as an illustration.

best,
-tony

p.s. R does satisfy a good part of the second paragraph, at least for
a critical subset of the language.