[R] Plotting hclust with lot of objects

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 19:20:28 CET 2005

I think you need to use just:

cut

You may also want to look at:

cutree

-----Original Message-----
From:	r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch on behalf of kottha at zhr.tu-dresden.de
Sent:	Tue 1/25/2005 6:06 PM
To:	r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject:	[R] Plotting hclust with lot of objects
Hi!

I am newbee to R and I am facing the problem in plotting
the dedrogram with lot of objects. The lines and labels are overlapped very
badly, and writing the graphic to postscript and zooming there is not helping
either. I tried cut.dendrogram method, but getting the error that it doesn't
exist even though I get the man pages for it.

I would not find any solution in web as well, and I would be grateful to you
if you would share your thoughts or solutions with me.

Here is my code:
A <- read.table("temp.csv", sep =",", header =TRUE, row.names = 1)
hc <- hclust(dist(A),method='single')
plot(as.dendrogram(hc), horiz=TRUE, cex=0.2)
memb <- cut.dendrogram(as.dendrogram(hc), 4)
Error: couldn't find function "cut.dendrogram"

Thanks allot,
Samatha

Samatha Kottha
Center for High Performance computing		TeL: (+49) 351 4633 1945
Technical University Dresden
Willers-bau A106
Zellescher Weg 12
D-01069 Dresden