[R] a question about linear mixed model in R

Chung Chang cc2240 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 19 16:31:27 CET 2005

Thanks for your post.
Yes, your example is indeed similar to my question.
If i means group, j means individual(subject)
h:indicator(0:control;1:experiment) k:repeat(if no repeat then k=1)
the the model is also X_hijk = alpha_h + h * b_i + r_(ij) + e_hijk.

After I posted this question, I found out how to do it in R.
So I would like to share with you guys and hear the comments from
you.
X:response,b_i subject effect, r(ij) nested effect within subject

lme(X~alpha_h,data=dataset,random=list(subject=~h-1,r=~1),method="ML
",na.action="na.omit")
the fixed effect part is alpha_h
the random effect is subject effect, the corresponding coefficient
is h and -1 means no random intercept of subject.
and random effect of r(nested effect within subject)
Thanks for your help