[R] help wanted using R in a classroom

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 19 16:23:11 CET 2005

Re-reading your email carefully, I'm not absolutely sure whether the
multiple R processes are all running on the server, as I first
assumed. If they are, then it seems to me that the solution is to get
the R processes running on the clients.

On my OS X box, "R" is a link to the R script located on an NFS
mounted file system:

[166]% ls -l /usr/local/bin/R
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  42  9 Dec 12:25 /usr/local/bin/R@ ->
/statsrvr/apps/R/R-2.0.1/darwin/bin/R

[167]% df -k | grep statsrvr
statbox:/APPS1               9830344  9161202    659312    93%
/private/automount/statsrvr/apps

statbox is a Solaris machine.

So, R is "installed", by which I mean all of its files are located
on, a server, but when I run it, it runs locally.

So I think should be able to arrange things so that each student's R
session runs on the eMac in front of him, instead of on the server.

-Don

At 12:11 PM +0100 1/17/05, Sam Parvaneh wrote:
>Hi everyone!
>
>I'm using R 2.0.1 for Mac OS X in a classroom with 40 eMacs running Mac OS
>X version 10.3.6.
>These Macs are network based, meaning that the students log in to an
>XServe G4 where their user accounts and home directories are stored.

Do they actually log in to the XServe, or do they login to the eMac
and have their home directories mounted on the eMac?