[R] debian /etc/apt/sources.list for CRAN?

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Mon Jan 17 23:37:31 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:14:04PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:39:23PM -0500, Michael Friendly wrote:
> > Should I just delete the cran.r-project.org line
> > above,
>
> I think so.  Plus, if you already point to Debian unstable, CRAN has nothing
> you wouldn't have otherwise.
>
> > or are there debian R packages elsewhere on CRAN that I should
> > include instead?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> In the past, CRAN had current Debian packages of R itself for Debian
> flavours other than unstable which typically has the most current R version
> right at release time. However, migration to testing can take time so the we
> sometime kept the same . And for stable we used to have volunteer-donated
> rebuilds of the current R. This has gotten progressively more difficult as
> Debian stable got older and older, and process of creating the R packages
> started to take advantage of facilities to available to the versions of the
> tools in stable.

Not sure if this is still relevant, but the backport I made has been
apt-getable from this address for a while:

deb http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian stable/

I'd prefer if this where integrated in CRAN, but I don't think I can make
that directory available via rsync (unless you are a debian developer).
Probably the debian server can handle the extra load for a few people still
running Debian/stable.
I should be able to keep the packages current, but not necessarily within a
day, like Dirk manages to do.

Christian