[R] merge data frames taking mean/mode of multiple macthes

Christoph Buser buser at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 17 18:19:41 CET 2005

Dear Avneet

the function aggregate (see also ?aggregate) could be useful for
your problem. See the short example I've written below.

dat1 <- data.frame(lot = factor(1:10),y1 = rnorm(10))
str(dat1)
dat2 <- data.frame(nr = 1:100, lot = factor(rep(1:10, each = 10)),y2 = rnorm(100))
str(dat2)

dat2.agr <- aggregate(dat2$y, by = list(lot = dat2$lot), FUN = mean)
names(dat2.agr)[2] <- "y2"

dat.mer <- merge(dat1, dat2.agr)
str(dat.mer)

Be careful about merging dataframes. There should always be a
control that the right cases are merged together.

Regards,

Christoph Buser

--
Christoph Buser <buser at stat.math.ethz.ch>