[R] Centered variables and mixed-model

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 14 23:26:46 CET 2005

(Posted because private reply to sender was kicked back).

Note that you said "centered **response** variables in your original
original post, not centered **explanatory** variables, which is what (your
misquote of) Bates and Pinheiro said. ** Big Difference!** If you don't know
what the difference is, I strongly suggest you consult a statistician.

Centering of explanatory variables can sometimes help numerical accuracy,
but otherwise produces an exactly equivalent linear model with a different
intercept. Obviously, it changes NONlinear models.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box