[R] Questions on Inserting R graphs in latex!

Fri Jan 14 06:16:40 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 21:48 -0500, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> This is not an R problem, but LaTeX.
>
> Seems like the `slides' document class you're using doesn't recognize the
> `figure' environment.  You should check that.
>
> I seem to recall that you need to specify a driver option for graphicx, such
> as `epsfig' for some such.  You should check the documentation for that
> package.
>
> Andy

I believe that Andy is correct here. The slides and letter classes do
not recognize the figure environment.

In checking some of the other popular slide classes (ie. Seminar,
Prosper and Beamer), I don't think that they support the figure
environment either.

The figure environment is better for longer documents, where it can
become difficult to keep track of figure numbering and referencing.

For shorter slide based presentations, it is easier to 'hard code' the
numbers and captions, etc. where these are appropriate to use.

More information on inserting EPS graphics into LaTeX documents is
available in:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/epslatex.pdf

Additional information on the other slide classes are at:

http://tug.org/applications/Seminar/
http://prosper.sourceforge.net/
http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/

HTH,