[R] changing langage

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Jan 12 18:26:10 CET 2005

Kurt Sys <kurt.sys <at> pandora.be> writes:

:
: Hi all,
:
: I've got a small, practical question, which untill now I couldn't solve
: (otherwhise I wouldn't mail it, right?) First of all, I'm talking about
: R 2.0.1 on a winxp system (using the default graphical interface being
: 'Rgui').
: When I make plots, using dates on the x-axis, it puts the labels in
: Dutch, which is nice (since it's my mother tongue) unless I want them in
: English... Is there a way to change this behaviour?  (Can I change the
: labels etc to English?)

Here is an example:

R> Sys.setlocale("LC_TIME", "en-us")
[1] "English_United States.1252"
R> format(ISOdate(2004,1:12,1),"%B")
 [1] "January"   "February"  "March"     "April"     "May"       "June"
 [7] "July"      "August"    "September" "October"   "November"  "December"
R> Sys.setlocale("LC_TIME", "du-be")
[1] "Dutch_Netherlands.1252"
R> format(ISOdate(2004,1:12,1),"%B")
 [1] "januari"   "februari"  "maart"     "april"     "mei"       "juni"
 [7] "juli"      "augustus"  "september" "oktober"   "november"  "december">
R> R.version.string # XP
[1] "R version 2.1.0, 2005-01-02"

For more codes, google for:

   Microsoft language codes

and look at the first result that is on a Microsoft site.

This may or may not change your labels depending on precisely
what you are doing.