[R] plot.default and open ended limits

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Sun Jan 9 22:04:41 CET 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Dan Bolser wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Romain François wrote:
>
>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> Look at the code of the plot.default function, you'll see that's not
>> possible to specify one limit, nevertheless, you can do :
>
> Suppose I wanted to contribute a 'fix' to the code to allow one of my
> suggested syntax solutions below, how would I go about it?

The preferred way is to send a patch against the current (R-devel)
sources, but if you are modifying a short function it's probably ok to
send just the modified version (being careful not to change indenting and
spacing  in lines you don't modify).

However, while we never want to discourage people from contributing fixes,
I will note that users will expect ylim=c(0,NA) to work for all plot()
methods that accept ylim, if it works for plot.default.  Some of these
pass their xlim and ylim to  plot.default, so it will happen
automatically, but some probably don't.

 	-thomas