[R] R-etiquette

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Jan 9 15:17:10 CET 2005

Anne wrote:
> I'm about to present a report (for internal use of governmental agency). I used extensively R , contibuted packages, as well as communications on the R-list
>
> As well as citing R, I would like to know how to cite the contributed packages (it is not so easy, as some have been used exensively, other marginally, some are called from another package and some were not used as softwares but gave me insight of how to proceed), as well as thank the persons who generously responded to my demands on the list...
>
> Is there an established way of doing that?
>
> Thanks
>
> I take the occasion of thanking all of you! The R project is really a wonderful idea and realisation
>
> Anne

Good question Anne.  I don't know of an established way but here are
examples based on the way I prefer people to site my packages.  For
Hmisc, one of the two following ways works (BibTeX format):

@MISC{Hmisc,
   author = {Harrell, Frank E.},
   year = 2005,
   title = {{\tt Hmisc}: {A} library of miscellaneous \textsc{S} functions},
   howpublished = {Available from
                  {\tt biostat.\-mc.\-vanderbilt.\-edu/\-s/Hmisc}}
}
or
@MISC{alzsplus,
   author = {Alzola, Carlos F. and Harrell, Frank E.},
   year = 2004,
   title = {An {Introduction} to {S} and the {Hmisc} and {Design}
           {Libraries}. {Available} from
           {\tt
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/\-twiki/pub/Main/\-RS/sintro.pdf}.},
   note = {Electronic book, 308 pages}
}

For Design one of the following 2:

@book{rms,
   author = {Harrell, Frank E.},
   year = 2001,
   title = {Regression Modeling Strategies, with Applications to Linear
   Models, Survival Analysis and Logistic Regression},
   publisher = {Springer},
   address = {New York}
}

or

@MISC{Design,
   author = {Harrell, Frank E.},
   year = 2005,
   title = {{\tt Design}: {S} functions for biostatistical/epidemiologic
           modeling, testing, estimation, validation, graphics,
prediction, and
           typesetting by storing enhanced model design attributes in
the fit.
           Available from {\tt
   biostat.\-mc.\-vanderbilt.\-edu/s/\-{Design}}}
}

I am never clear on the proper year to use for referencing the packages
by themselves, as the packages are constantly being improved.

Frank