[R] Compilation of R code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 8 08:33:13 CET 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:00 -0800, Sameul M Mwalili wrote:
>> Dear ALL,
>> In order to install the Rice R to C compiler (RCC) you need to patch
>> the R source code. However, the patch command at DOS prompt returns an
>> error:  patch is not recognized as internal or external command. How
>> do you patch in DOS (or Windows)?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Samuel.
>
> The GNU patch program is available as source code via:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/software/patch/patch.html
>
> I also located a Sourceforge project that has pre-built native Win32
> binaries, which requires msvcrt.dll:
>
> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>
> There may be other resources to reference.

Most of us use Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/).  Gnuwin32 is also a good
source (a bigger and more active project than unxutils):

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

and their latest announcement is patch.

Warning: the RCC patches are R-version specific, and the last available
appears to be 1.9.0.

Warning2: Some Windows versions of patch require CRLF files, and the R
sources are LF files when unpacked by tar.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk