[R] *PACKAGE* vcd for R rw2001

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 6 12:05:45 CET 2005

    Anne> Is there an upgrate of the vcd library

it's a *PACKAGE*, not a "library" ...

    Anne>  (visualisation of categorical data) for the latest R version?

    Anne> Trying to download it from CRAN I get

    Anne> URL
    Anne> /data/WWW/ftp/pub/R/bin/windows/contrib/r-release/vcd_0.1-3.4.zip
    Anne> was not found on this server.

Yes, there's a big "problem" on all CRAN mirrors, that all these
links are broken. Unfortunately today is holiday in the country
the CRAN webmasters live.

    Anne> googling it, I found it for instance on
    Anne> http://www.sourcekeg.co.uk/cran/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/

and the "1.9" tells you that this was done for R versions 1.9.x,
not version 2.0.0 and upwards

    Anne> but trying to install it gave me the message
    >> library(vcd)
    Anne> Error in library(vcd) : 'vcd' is not a valid package
						       -------
						       see, a "package"
    Anne> -- installed < 2.0.0?

I agree this is a bit misleading for people who install *binary*
packages (as you do when you install a zip file).

In your case, the error message should have meant

 "package built in R version < 2.0.0 ?"

(which of course it has been).

You need to get a windows-binary version of the package that was
built with an R version >= 2.0.0
{by waiting a bit, till the CRAN links are fixed up}
or then learn how to build it yourself from the *source* of the
vcd package, which is a file  vcd_<vers>.tar.gz

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich