[R] lme: error message with random=~1

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jan 5 16:29:59 CET 2005

Douglas Bates wrote:

> I'm not sure what model you want to fit here.  To specify a random
> effect in lme you need both a grouping factor and a model matrix.  The
> error message indicates that lme is unable to determine a grouping
> factor.  It would be correct syntax if you added a single level factor
> to the data frame and used that but then the model fit would fail
> because you would be trying to estimate a variance in a model where
> there is no variation in the term.

O.k. I see and think I understand it.

> It seems to me that you are trying to estimate parameters in a
> mixed-effects model without any random effects and lme can't do that.

Yes, what I want is a model without any random effects to be tested
against a model with random effects. I want to show, that the random
effects are negligible but that we account for pseudo replicates and
have tested this explicitely.

I'm not sure what is better: to leave the random effects in the model or
  simply an LR test against a linear model fitted by lm. I've never seen
such an example in the books. Or have I missed a global alternative here?

Thomas P.