[R] Re : Frequency count

Tarmo Remmel tarmo.remmel at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 5 00:19:26 CET 2005

This might help...

Here KI is a matrix such as your dataset (without the flag)

"dups" <- function (intab=KI) {

  # CREATE A MATRIX WITH ONLY THE UNIQUE ROWS OF intab
  intabunique <- unique(intab)

  # COLLAPSE THE FULL TABLE
  a2 <- apply(intab, 1, paste, collapse=":")

  # COLLAPSE THE UNIQUE TABLE
  b2 <- apply(intabunique, 1, paste, collapse=":")

  # COUNT UNIQUE ROW OCCURRENCES AND WRITE TO .COUNT
  assign(".COUNT",c(table(c(a2,unique(b2)))[b2] - 1) ,pos=1)

  # WRITE THE UNIQUE TABLE TO .KIUNIQUE
  assign(".KIUNIQUE", intabunique, pos=1)
}

> KI
     col1 col2 col3
[1,]    1    1    1
[2,]    2    1    1
[3,]    1    2    1
[4,]    1    1    1
[5,]    1    2    1
[6,]    1    1    1
[7,]    2    2    2

> dups(KI)

> .KIUNIQUE
     col1 col2 col3
[1,]    1    1    1
[2,]    2    1    1
[3,]    1    2    1
[4,]    2    2    2

> .COUNT
1:1:1 2:1:1 1:2:1 2:2:2
    3     1     2     1

Tarmo Remmel  B.E.S., M.Sc.F., Ph.D. Candidate
GUESS Lab, Department of Geography
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://eratos.erin.utoronto.ca/remmelt