[R] warnings and errors with R CMD INSTALL

thomas tom_hoary at web.de
Tue Jan 4 23:34:36 CET 2005

Hello,

unfortunately I had to compile latest version of R-2.0.1 by myself. I'd
rather would prefer vendors binaries but since the current version of
Ubuntu defaults to 1.9.x I had to compile R on my own in order to be up
to date!
So far, everything went fine and R runs smoothly. Unfortunately I am not
able to use R CMD INSTALL command to install add-on packages.

I followed RNews 3/3 and used:

1. R CMD INSTALL package_version.tar.gz

and

2.options(CRAN="http://umfragen.sowi.uni-mainz.de/CRAN/")
install.packages("pkg1". "pkg2")

Both approaches end up i.e.:

WARNING: invalid package 'pkg1.tar.gz'
ERROR: no packages specified

Well, R administration manual and RNews give some examples which I took
as basis to install further packages.
I, as suggested in RNews and administration manual alike, omitted the -l
option, since I want to stay with default library location!

Obviously I am stuck in a situation not covered by the docs! Well, most
likely I misunderstand something, can anyone help out with this?

greetings

Thomas

system:

platform i686-pc-linux-gnu