[R] Memory problem ... Again

Tae-Hoon Chung thchung at tgen.org
Mon Jan 3 22:29:03 CET 2005

Happy new year to all;

A few days ago, I posted similar problem. At that time, I found out that our
R program had been 32-bit compiled, not 64-bit compiled. So the R program
has been re-installed in 64-bit and run the same job, reading in 150
Affymetrix U133A v2 CEL files and perform dChip processing. However, the
memory problem happened again. Since the amount of physical memory is 64GB,
I think it should not be a problem. Is there anyway we can configure memory
usage so that all physical memory can be utilized?

Our system is like this:
System type: IBM AIX Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP)
OS version: SuSe 8 SP3a
CPU: 8
Memory: 64GB

The codes are as follows:
> Data <- ReadAffy(filenames = paste(HOME, "CelData/", fname, sep=""))
> eset <- expresso(Data, normalize.method="invariantset", bg.correct=FALSE, pmc\
orrect.method="pmonly", summary.method="liwong")
normalization: invariantset
PM/MM correction : pmonly
expression values: liwong
normalizing...Error: cannot allocate vector of size 594075 Kb
> gc()
           used  (Mb) gc trigger   (Mb)
Ncells   797971  21.4    1710298   45.7
Vcells 76716794 585.4  305954055 2334.3
> mem.limits()
nsize vsize
   NA    NA
> object.size(Data)
[1] 608355664
> memory.profile()
    NILSXP     SYMSXP    LISTSXP     CLOSXP     ENVSXP    PROMSXP    LANGSXP
         1      30484     372383       4845        420        180     127274
SPECIALSXP BUILTINSXP    CHARSXP     LGLSXP                           INTSXP
       203       1168     111430       5296          0          0      44650
   REALSXP    CPLXSXP     STRSXP     DOTSXP     ANYSXP     VECSXP    EXPRSXP
     13382          9      60170          0          0      26003          0
  BCODESXP  EXTPTRSXP WEAKREFSXP
         0        106          0