[R] building phylogenetic trees

Rich Grenyer grenyer at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 3 18:10:09 CET 2005

Hi Silvan - I'd love to proven wrong, but I think unless
you're interested in a cluster dendrogram
(neighbour-joining or UPGMA etc.) that the most standard
phylogeny-generation algorithms aren't implemented as R
functions (yet). There are very efficient third party
programs for tree construction (PAUP* at
http://paup.csit.fsu.edu is the default, PHYLIP at
http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip.html is
99% as comprehensive, and free) and the ape package
provides a way of getting your trees and data into R for
any further analysis you want.

Regards,

Rich