[R] Error in layout(): Too many rows in layout

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 3 11:31:47 CET 2005

    UweL> Jeroen Van Houtte wrote:
    >> To display many small graphics one above the another
    >> (like Edward Tufte's sparklines), I'd like to use layout
    >> in the graphics package with more than 15 rows.
    >>
    >> I found that the limit of 15 is set by #define
    >> MAX_LAYOUT_ROWS 15

    UweL> Well, what about replacing 15 by something like 100?
    UweL> The point is that you should look where
    UweL> MAX_LAYOUT_ROWS is used for calculations and whether
    UweL> there might result any problem after increasing it.

    >> in
    >> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/include/Graphics.h
    >> but I 'm not familiar enough with compilers to modify
    >> this.

    UweL> Looking into your mail header [telling us you are
    UweL> using Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
    UweL> 5.1; SV1)], I see you are using Windows and probably
    UweL> never have compiled R yourself (please read the
    UweL> posting guide which tells you to mention relevant
    UweL> information such as the OS in use).

    UweL> Please read the file R/src/gnuwin32/Install.  It tells
    UweL> you how to compile R yourself and which tools are
    UweL> required.

    UweL> Uwe Ligges

Unless Jeroen is really keen on learning how build R from source
on MS Windows, I think Jeroen's time might be better invested in
learning to use the "grid" package instead of "graphics".

I think layout() in "graphics" is really just a poor man's
version of using layout.grid() and viewports as provided by the
"grid" package {and as used extensively by the "lattice" package}.

Martin Maechler