[R] Teaching R in 40 minutes. What should be included?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 26 20:09:32 CET 2005

      I agree with Thomas and Georg:  A 40 minute intro should be mostly
Marketing and very little "how to".

      I think you'll have a more effective sales job if you target, say,
4 examples averaging 5 slides each plus some general overview, max 25-30
slides.  If I had sufficient prep time and a few collaborators among
physicists, geographers, etc., I might get their help in preparing
examples, showing how they would do something in Matlab or Scilab or
something else vs. R.  And I'd end with a discussion of technical
support via an R site search and r-help and showing a list of available
contributed packages.  I'd do a couple of searches for physics and
geographical questions.  ODESOLVE, maps, etc.  Maybe pick examples that
are part of the help files.  Then show, here is how I find X, here is
the vignette, help or whatever.

      Is it fair to say that R is rapidly becoming (if it is not
already) the primary platform of choice for new statistical algorithm
development?  I think they might be interested in a brief overview of
the contributed software.  If this is an academic audience, they might
like to know how easy it is to contribute software, plus journal on
statistical computing and graphics, etc.

      hope this helps.  Good Luck!
      spencer graves