[Rd] [R][Rdev] any way to generate "bitmap" (tif, jpeg, png etc) files in R CMD BATCH

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:40:22 CET 2005

Please do consult the posting guide and not post to multiple lists.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Oleg Sklyar wrote:

> here is the problem, Linux problem (reported to work on Windows). I need to
> generate graphical output in any of bitmap format under the 'R CMD BATCH'.
> Whereas the script generating png-s works perfectly in the R session, such
> things as X11, png and jpeg are not usable in BATCH (they cannot be switched
> on by --gui-X11 etc) and X11 is prompted to be required for png. At the same

BATCH is just a script, effectively to do

R --save--restore --save --no-readline < infile > outfile 2>&1

and in earlier versions includes --gui=none.  So if you are running BATCH
with access to an X server (unusual), you can just use the above.

> time, such things as postscript and pdf, which are generally X-independent
> work fine. The problem is that as a result I need something previewable in
> the web browser: png, jpeg. Any suggestions how to proceed?

See also ?bitmap, linked from the help page for png().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk