[R] [R-pkgs] New package for microeconomics: micEcon

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Mon Feb 21 12:56:45 CET 2005

Dear all,

I have uploaded a new package called micEcon (version 0.1-3) to CRAN
(an early version of this package has been already presented at useR! 2004).
It contains tools for microeconomic analysis and microeconomic modeling.
These are for instance:

- tools for demand analysis with the 'Almost Ideal Demand System' (AIDS):
e.g. econometric estimation, calculation of price and income/expenditure
elasticities, checking for theoretical consistency

- tools for production/firm analysis with the 'Symmetric Normalized
Quadratic' (SNQ) profit function: e.g. econometric estimation, calculation of
price elasticities and shadow prices, imposing convexity

- tools for quadratic and translog functions, e.g. econometric estimation,
calculation of Hessians and derivatives

- functions to write input files for and read output files of Tim Coelli's
(1996) program "Frontier 4.1" (http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/cepa/
software.htm). In this way R can use "Frontier 4.1" to perform stochastic
frontier analysis.

- a function to perform a two-step Heckman ("heckit") estimation to correct
for non-random sample selection

- functions to calculate "Laspeyres", "Paasche" or "Fisher" price and quantity
indices

I have checked most of the functions by comparing their results with values
published in the literature or obtained by other software. However, I cannot
guarantee that they return correct results in all possible cases. So please
check these functions (results, code) and send me bug reports or patches.
You are also invited to provide further functions, e.g. tools for other
functional forms.

Best regards,
Arne

--