[R] survreg with gamma distribution: re-post

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Feb 24 04:58:56 CET 2005

Google for the gfcure package on statlib.  I have not used it myself
and am not entirely sure whether it works on R or just S.

Roger Dungan <roger.dungan <at> canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

:
: Dear r-help subscribers,
:
: A couple of weeks ago I sent the following message to the r-help mail
: list. It hasn't generated any response, and I could really use some help
: on this. Anyone able to help?
:
: Thanks again,
:
: Roger Dungan
:
: >>
: I am working on some survival analysis of some interval censored failure
: time data in R. I have done similar analysis before using PROC LIFEREG
: in SAS. In that instance, a gamma survival function was the optimum
: parametric model for describing the survival and hazard functions. I
: would like to be able to use a gamma function in R, but apparently the
: survival package does not support this distribution. I have been
: googling around for some help, and have found some threads to a similar
: question posted to the R-Help list in October last year. Because I am a
: bit of a survival analysis and R newbie, I didn't really understand the
: discussion thread.
:
: I've been working with a Weibull distribution, thus:
:
: >leafsurv.weibull<-survreg(Surv(minage, maxage, censorcode, type =
: >"interval")~1, dist = "weib")
:
: And I guess I'd like to be able to do something that's the equivalent of
:
: >leafsurv.gamma<-survreg(Surv(minage, maxage, censorcode, type =
: >"interval")~1, dist = "gamma")
:
: At least one of the R-help listserver comments mentioned using
: survreg.distributions to customise a gamma distribution, but I can't
: figure out how to make this work with the resources (intellectual and
: bibliographical!) that I have available.
:
: With thanks in advance for your help,
:
: Dr Roger Dungan
: School of Biological Sciences
: University of Cantebury
: Christchurch, New Zealand
: ph +64 3 366 7001 ext. 4848
: fax +64 3 354 2590
:
: R-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
: https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help