[R] rodbc or unixodbc error

Sebastian Luque sluque at mun.ca
Tue Feb 22 06:32:14 CET 2005

Hi Dirk,

That worked beautifully, thanks a lot! I was able to connect to a test
database, save to it (sqlSave), and query it (odbcQuery). Some comments
below for future reference.

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

[...]

> edd at basebud:~> cat /etc/odbcinst.ini
> [PostgreSQL]
> Description = PostgreSQL ODBC driver for Linux and Windows
> Driver = /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/psqlodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libodbcpsqlS.so
> Debug = 0
> CommLog = 1
>
> [MySQL]
> Description = MySQL driver
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libmyodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libodbcmyS.so
> CPTimeout =
> CPReuse =
> FileUsage = 1

Except for PostgreSQL, this was the default configuration that MySQL or
unixODBC must have entered here during installation.

> ii) /etc/odbc.ini

This file was empty in my system, so adapting your recommendation:

,-----[ /etc/odbc.ini (lines: 1 - 7) ]
| [test]
| Driver       = /usr/lib/odbc/libmyodbc.so
| Database     = test
| Servername   = localhost
| ReadOnly     = 0
| Port	       = 3306
`-----

and followed the same template to include the rest of my databases further
down.

Can the latter go in ~/.odbc.ini as I said before? I hope so, as this
would allow for much easier maintenance.

Thanks again for the helpful reply.

--
Sebastian Luque