[R] save plot as jpg/gif

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 10:36:19 CET 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Liu, Jane wrote:

> I am generating multiple plots and would like to save them as jpg or gif
> files. Could someone tell me which function I shall use?

jpeg() or bitmap()

R does not support GIF files because of the patent difficulties until
recently (and possibly still, although the US, European and Japanese
patents have expired: http://cloanto.com/users/mcb/19950127giflzw.html)
and a preference for PNG (see png()) which can easily be converted to gifs
if needed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk