[R] Hosting a R Graph Gallery?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Mon Feb 21 09:49:30 CET 2005

Thanks for the responses and offer!

Romain, good luck with your exams first of all!

Graphics in R base and R contributed is a good start indeed.

I thought of a wiki as well as it will require less maintenance from the
host. Custom html could be powerful, but will require more input from
host! With build-in search engines, indexing etc., a wiki environment
could provide all functionality for an easy to navigate gallery!

To stimulate development and support of SVG functionality, we might want
to offer people the option of submitting graphics in both png and svg!

The work by Jake looks very promising:
http://www.darkridge.com/~jake/RSvg/
The applet works well with the examples!

Cheers,

Sander.

Robert Cunningham wrote:
> I too have often though a R-gallery would be useful.
>
> It seems to me that a Wiki-style page with a database backend would be
> the best bet.
>
> It also seems to be that the best place to start is a complete image
> gallery produced from all the examples in R base, then in packages in
> CRAN. In this context the graphicsQC package
> (http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/R/graphicsQC_0.4.tar.g) of Paul
> Murrell seems useful.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Robert Cunningham
>

> Romain Francois <francoisromain at free.fr> writes:
>

>>Hello Sander,
>>
>>That's a good idea and i am up to it.
>>
>>Right now i am in an exam period, so it's not really the better time,
>>give me a couple of weeks and i will come up with a specific format of
>>R files to submit to me that i could post-process to generate html
>>documents.
>>To my mind, those html files should show :
>>
>>- the plot itself
>>+ Submitter(s)
>>        - web page
>>        - email (eventually protected, I don't know how to do it)
>>- Bibliographic references
>>- Required R packages
>>+ Commentaries
>>       - in english
>>       - and in any other languages
>>
>>I'm open to any suggestion.
>>
>>Romain.
>>
>>Le 18.02.2005 14:33, Sander Oom a écrit :
>>

>>>Dear R users,
>>>
>>>Following some of the recent questions and discussions about the R
>>>plotting abilities, it occurred to me again that it would be very
>>>valuable to have an R graph gallery.
>>>
>>>Eric Lecoutre made a very nice example in:
>>>http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISpersonnel/lecoutre/stats/fichiers/_gallery.pdf
>>>

>>>It would be very useful to many beginners, but probably also
>>>advanced users of R, to have an overview of R graph types with
>>>graphical examples  and associated R code.
>>>
>>>In order to facilitate the evolution of a large gallery, some sort
>>>of wiki environment might be most suitable, thus providing access to
>>>all users, but with limited maintenance costs for the provider.
>>>
>>>Do others agree this could be a valuable resource? Would anybody
>>>have the resources to host such an R graph gallery?
>>>
>>>Yours,
>>>
>>>Sander Oom.
>>>

>>--
>>Romain FRANCOIS : francoisromain at free.fr
>>page web : http://addictedtor.free.fr/  (en construction)
>>06 18 39 14 69 / 01 46 80 65 60

Dr. Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Wits 2050
South Africa