[R] minus I and minus L flags

Charles Geyer charlie at stat.umn.edu
Sun Feb 20 18:12:08 CET 2005

I have been RTFM/doc/www, but I'm still lost.

How does one tell R CMD INSTALL and R CMD check (both) that libraries
are installed in non-usual places and so -I/APPS/include (or whatever)
is necessary in CPPFLAGS and -L/APPS/lib (similarly) is necessary
in LDFLAGS?

I know I can hardwire them in pkg/src/Makevars, but this requires hand
editing of that file by each installer (yuck!)

rgentlem suggested some tricks with configure, but after a lot of grovelling
in autoconf manuals and books, I still don't get it.

Surely this is a pre-solved problem (I hopefully assert).  Is there a standard
solution, and if so where is the example I follow?
--
Charles Geyer
Professor, School of Statistics
charlie at stat.umn.edu