[R] Problems installing quantreg

mark engle engle at unr.nevada.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:17:14 CET 2005

Hi All,
 I'm trying to install the quantreg library on my MEPIS box (debian-based
linux).  When I try >install.packages("quantreg") it fails to loads and
errors with: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3.  I tried installing a ton of
packages to fix the missing part but the only thing I manage to do it cause
problems with another shared library and had to re-install a couple of
packages to even get R to run again (It's pretty late here and I'm just too
tired to remember all the packages I messed with) .

As a work around I tried downloading an .rpm for the package and converting it
to a .deb using alien.  I then installed the .deb through kpackage.  It
installed without any complaints and I can run the library command with
quantreg.  However when I try to run a quantreg command (in this case, rq) at
the R prompt, I get: "Error: Object "rq" not found".  This suggests to me
that the package hasn't really installed itself or isn't working properly.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'd really like to be able to use this library
with R.  In fact at the moment R doesn't do me much good without it.
Thanks.

-ME