[R] Getting *types* of arguments?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:34:26 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Georg Hoermann wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> short question: is there a possibility to get a list of
> arguments of a function *with* variable/parameter types?

Do you mean `argument' or `formal argument' or `parameter' or `variable'?

> formals() gives me the names of the parameters, but says
> nothing about the parameter type it expects (I know I can always use the
> help function).
>
> I would like somthing like
>
> $x: vector or data.frame...

No, because R's argument matching is polymorphic and many functions have
arguments that accept many types, or coerce arguments to the required
type.

BTW, a data frame is a list which is a vector, so your example isn't very
realistic and shows that `type' is not a concept you have clear.  R has
modes (?mode), types (?typeof) and classes (?class).  Neither `vector' nor
`data frame' is a type.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk