[R] Positive log-likelihood in lme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Feb 16 23:19:41 CET 2005

      The "likelihood" is the probability density function, which can be
greater than 1 for continuous distributions with a fairly narrow
spread.  For discrete distributions, the density never exceeds 1, in
which case the log(likelihood) would always be negative(*).

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves
(*) If you are using measure-theoretic probability with some
non-standard measure, it might be possible to get a discrete probability
density greater than 1.  One might want to use such as a class exercise,
but I can't think of a real world application for such.