[R] Easy cut & paste from Excel to R?

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 16 18:20:43 CET 2005

Thank you all very much for the answers!
The read.table / read.delim2 commands are exactly what
I was looking for to get
a couple of numbers or a little matrix quickly into R
without creating an extra
text file every time.

And it works the other way around as well:
write.table(x, file("clipboard"), sep="\t")
Fantastic!

Thanks again,
   Werner

Nick Drew wrote:
> I've had good luck with the scan() function when I
> want to get a few numbers from Excel into R quickly
> use it as a calculator. CAVEAT: you have to have the
> numbers you want to copy in a column not a row in
> Excel. For example:
>
> In Excel your data are in a column as follows:
> Col A
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> Then copy the 3 cells (e.g. 1, 2,3) in Excel and
open
> R and type in:
>
>>data <- scan()
>

> Then Paste using Ctrl-V. Hit the Enter key. You know
> have an object called "data" that you can use and
> manipulate in R.
>
> I've taken this even further by creating an R
function
> that will take a column of numbers from Excel and
then
> scan() them into R, create a matrix, and then
perform