[R] Trellis barchart, column display order issue

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 15 23:02:42 CET 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 14:57, Bock, Michael wrote:
> I have searched the archives and instructions high and low but have
> not found what I need.
>
> I have a dataframe named Data with columns:
> AdjResND0 - the numeric result
> Parameter - the classification (chemical name)
> Sort - the order I want the chemical names to appear, with leading
> zeros so all are the same length
> Client.Name - the sample name

Try looking at

levels(Data$Parameter)

I'll bet they are in alphabetical order. See ?factor for how to specify
the levels explicitly. Alternatively, barring unforeseen complications,
and assuming that you have a sufficiently modern version of R, you
should be able to do

barchart(AdjResND0 ~ reorder(Parameter, sort) | Client.Name,
         Data, ...

and if that doesn't work as intended,

barchart(AdjResND0 ~ reorder(Parameter,
             as.numeric(as.character(sort))) | Client.Name,
         Data, ...

Deepayan