Off topic -- large data sets. Was RE: [R] 64 Bit R Background Question

Graham Jones maillists at visiv.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 18:06:06 CET 2005

In message <200502151112.j1FB5fZ5002722 at hypatia.math.ethz.ch>, r-help-
request at stat.math.ethz.ch writes

>Can comeone give me an example (perhaps in a private response, since I'm off
>topic here) where one actually needs all cases in a large data set ("large"
>being > 1e6, say) to do a STATISTICAL analysis? By "statistical" I exclude,
>say searching for some particular characteristic like an adverse event in a
>medical or customer repair database, etc. Maybe a definition of
>"statistical" is: anything that cannot be routinely done in a single pass
>database query.

If the dimensionality of the data is large, you may need a large number
of cases too. An example from my own experience would be using quadratic
discriminant analysis (with regularization) for classifying symbols for
an OCR program. With 200 classes and 100 features, I'd really like many
millions of cases. I've been using about 20,000 per class or 4 million
in total, but if I had 40 million it would probably work better.
Compared to many applications in pattern recognition and data mining, I
think this is a fairly small example.

--
Graham Jones, author of SharpEye Music Reader
http://www.visiv.co.uk