[R] shrinkage estimates in lme

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Feb 15 18:07:19 CET 2005

What exactly do you mean by slope estimates? Marginal or
subject-specific?

Presuming that you mean the fixed-effects (since you refer to OLS)
then these are unbiased since they are Weighted Least Squares
estimators based on the marginal model. They are unbiased even in the
case where you misspecify the correlation structure. Moreover if you
use a reasonably well chosen covariance structure then they are also
very efficient.

The subject-specific fitted values are shrunken toward the mean in the
sense:

\hat{y}_i = \sum_i V_i^{-1}X_i\hat{\bfbeta} + (I-\sum_i V_i^{-1})y_i

and thus it is a weighted average of the population average profile
X_i\hat{\bfbeta} and the observed data y_i with weights \sum_i
V_i^{-1} and (I-\sum_i V_i^{-1}), respectively (where \sum_i V_i^{-1}
is the residual covariance matrix).

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/16/336899
Fax: +32/16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.ac.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm