[R] Problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi": Rd.sty not found

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sat Feb 12 07:23:25 CET 2005

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> writes:

:
: Prof Brian Ripley <ripley <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
:
: :
: : This is a problem with a recent-ish change to MikTeX to make it use
: : non-standard paths: see the notes on Duncan Murdoch's site at
: :
: :    http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/miktex.html
: :
: : Fptex is a standard distribution e.g. from TexLive.
:
: I initially started with MikTeX but then had the texinput problem
: while trying to generate vignettes for a package so
: tried fptex but found that the latter was huge (the .bat file
: downloads about half a gig of files) and Miktex seems more polished.
: The most important shortcoming is that fptex lacks texi2dvi and while
: Miktex lacks this too it has a substitute, texify.exe, which can
: be used instead whereas fptex does not.  The Miktex developer told
: me that the underlying tex engine he is using is missing the texinput
: part and as soon as that is corrected he will incorporate it
: into miktex.  This was quite a while ago and the situation
: may have changed somewhat.  I think some people have had good expeiences
: with fptex but they probably were not trying to develop packages with
: vignettes and certain other tasks that involve texinput.  I think had
: I known all this I just would have stuck to miktex and done the extra
: configuration and saved myself having to download the huge fptex
: distribution.

Just a follow up on this.

I found out from Marc Paterno, off list, that the latest
MiKTeX distribution has texi2dvi.exe .  This should
simplify using MiKTeX with R.  (Also, one MiKTeX
gotcha is to be sure to read the 'Refreshing Format Files'
section of the MiKTeX manual after installing MiKTeX and
follow the directions there.)