[R] Double sort a data frame

Luis Ridao Cruz Luisr at frs.fo
Fri Feb 11 15:39:56 CET 2005

You are right Andy,

I just found on the archives soon after I tried searching for a second
time.

Sorry

Luis

>>> "Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> 11/02/2005 13:15:16 >>>
> From: Luis Ridao Cruz
>
> R-help,
>
> Long ago I asked how to sort a data frame according to one of the
> columns.
> But Iwas wondering ho I could "double sort" , i.e, sort according to
> one column and another one afterwards.
> It is quite easy in Excel but  I am unable to implemented in R.

Just as easy in R, if not easier.  Something like:

dat[order(dat$col1, dat$col2), ]

> I have searched in the R help archives and found nothing.

This has been asked (and answered) numerous times on this list.  There
was a
function posted for Kevin Wright that implements a formula interface
for
sorting data frames.

Andy