[R] installing package hier.part on Mac OSX

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 09:01:48 CET 2005

For MacOS we have

Binary packages, foo.tgz
Source packages, foo.tar.gz

Neither are `zip files' (things created by zip, usually with extension .zip).

It looks like you have not installed a source package before, and you
either do not have the development tools installed or they are not in your
path.

That there is no binary version of a package available usually indicates a
problem with it on MacOS X, at least on the autobuilder's version of
MacOS.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Theresa Talley wrote:

> Hi-
> I've been trying to install the hier.part package on
> my mac (OSX 10.3.7) and it is not working for some
> reason. I am downloading the package source called :
> hier.part_1.0.tar.gz.  When I try to auto install from
> the cran site, I get this message:
> * Installing *source* package 'hier.part' ...
> ** libs
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB:
> line 1: make: command not found
>
> And when I try to install from the zip file on my
> computer, I get this message:

What precisely did you do here?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk