[R] Drawing maps of UK

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Feb 8 17:38:35 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, dr mike wrote:

> The package blighty allows you to draw the UK coastline.

Yes, everyone outside the US gets good, free data from the US government,
like coastlines, but has to jump through hoops to get administrative area
boundary files, that in the US are simply free for downloading. My best
guess is that http://edina.ac.uk/ukborders/ and an *.ac.uk address should
get you to files with the appropriate boundaries for academic use. From
there, you will have a choice of formats (probably e00, shapefile, or
MapInfo) and matching R packages for reading the formats (RArcInfo,
maptools/shapefiles, Rmap). It may be that Barry Rowlingson has a database
of county boundaries, but it is not unlikely in Europe that such data
cannot be redistributed, sadly.

Roger