[R] R or weka

Christian Schulz ozric at web.de
Tue Feb 8 15:07:53 CET 2005

Hi,

it's dependend of your task and the amount of data.
R-project have a lot more possibilities  manipulate the data and  many
different plot possibilities.
Weka have the nice possibilty use the experimenter which could test
several algorithms
on different dataset's for comparison, further you find
association-algorithms which
doesn't exist in R-project if i'm correct.
Neverthless you could program  a R-project script which doing the same
like the experimenter in weka, but it's really more work for a beginner
and a advanced user, too.

IMHO  if you want doing really data-mining ( i.e. more than ~ 200.000
rows and 20 attributes)
with many recodings, i recgonzie for both software-packages
the best way is doing all recodings in a database ( i.e. MySQL,RMySQL)
and  only mine (train , test , predict etc.)
in weka or R-project, because you get crazy when you didn't have a
machine with a lot of Speed and  RAM.

hope it helps,
regards, Christian