[R] file 'attributes'

Adrian Dusa adi at roda.ro
Sun Feb 6 15:35:22 CET 2005

Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw <at> merck.com> writes:

> file.info() should help with some of those items.
>
> Andy
>
> > From: Adrian Dusa
> >
> > Dear R-list,
> >
> > I have many files on many CDs (probably same as many of you)
> > and I would like
> > to create a database containing only a few columns:
> >     - the name of the file
> >     - its extension
> >     - space occupied
> >     - date when it was created
> >     - its path
> >     - CD number (this should be typed in manually)
> >
> > Is it possible to read a CD/structure of folders in such a way?
> > Thank you for any suggestion,
> > Adrian
> >
> > --
> > Adrian Dusa
> > Romanian Social Data Archive
> > 1, Schitu Magureanu Bd.
> > Bucharest sector 5
> > Romania
> > Tel./Fax: +40 21 3126618 \
> >               +40 21 3120210 / int.101

Brilliant, Andy. This is exactly what I needed. Now, if I could find a way to
scan a structure of folders, I could store the information about every file in
every folder in a table or a database...

Using ?file.info, I found another bunch of useful functions, like file.path,
list.files etc. It looks very promising.

I know there is a command in Linux called 'file', which determines the file type
 (a substitute for the extension). I wonder if I could use that command via R.

Thanks again,
Adrian