[R] Problem installing Hmisc (more info)

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Sun Feb 6 08:55:42 CET 2005

On 5 Feb 2005, at 23:59, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> Frank Harrell suggested I re-post with information about the version
>> of
>
> Thanks, that starts to make sense.  You appear to have g77 installed,
> but not in the place the person who prepared the binary install of R
> has it.
> Where do you have it installed?  ('whereis g77' or 'which g77' should
> tell you.)  Then you need to alter FLIBS in R_HOME/etc/Makeconf to
> point to it.  (You can remove -lfrtbegin from FLIBS: it is not needed:
> your R_HOME looks to be
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1.)
>
> However, I believe there is a more fundamental problem: because libg2c
> is a static library on current MacOS X, most packages using Fortran
> cannot be compiled there.  That's presumably the case with Hmisc, as
> the automated package builder is not providing a binary build.  (There
> is supposedly a check directory on CRAN, but it is not there at
> present.)

This must be a problem specific to a certain installation. I regularly
build Fortran files into MacOS X binaries. The specification in this
machine is:

pomme:~ jarioksanen$ uname -a
Darwin pomme.local 7.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.7.0: Sun Nov  7
16:06:51 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.9.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc
pomme:~ jarioksanen$ locate libg2c
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.0.0.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.a
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.la

So there are both static and dynamic libg2c's. I don't know of any
package management system for Mac, so I don't know who installed these
files, but probably it was g77. Probably I got these from
http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, though (I try avoid Fink which is a
constant source of trouble).

Similarly, the g2c is installed in /usr/local:

pomme:~ jarioksanen$ which g77
/usr/local/bin/g77

I got my g77 from a place pointed to in R-MacOS X FAQs.

I have often seen problems in MacOS with hardcoded paths which assume
certain locations for files. Latest problem was that 'rgl' library
assumes that 'libpng' to be in a different place that I had it. For
instance, Darwin's Fink installs stuff in a unique place called /sw.
Perhaps that's the problem? However, ideally MacOS software should work
'jus anywhere' (and 'just work') like they say in ads.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen, Oulu, Finland