[Fwd: Re: [R] Problems compiling (configure) R on Ubuntu linux (debian)]

Ulises M. Alvarez umalvarez at fata.unam.mx
Sat Feb 5 21:28:39 CET 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [R] Problems compiling (configure) R on Ubuntu linux (debian)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:47:42 -0600
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
To: Ulises M. Alvarez <umalvarez at fata.unam.mx>
<x2is57f8b7.fsf at biostat.ku.dk>
<16900.59886.67300.348574 at basebud.nulle.part>
<42051287.1050304 at fata.unam.mx>

Ulises,

Thanks -- but I am not the Ubuntu user who asked.  Could you resend this to
him, and the list?

On 5 February 2005 at 12:37, Ulises M. Alvarez wrote:
| Hello!
|
| I agree that the easiest way to get R in Ubuntu is with apt-get or with
| the GUI-based synaptic. Just make yourself sure that both the 'universe'
| and 'multiverse' repositories are available in your
| /etc/apt/sources.list, something like:
|
| ### /etc/apt/sources.list (partial view)
| deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty universe multiverse
| deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty universe multiverse
| ###
|
| Then, all you have to type is:
|
| sudo aptitude update
| sudo aptitude install r-base r-base-core r-base-latex r-cran-hmisc

Or apt-get, or wajig, or ...

| On the other hand, if you insist on compile R for your Ubuntu box, I'll
| recommend you to install (all in a long line):
|
| sudo aptitude install build-essential g77 libmagick++6-dev libpng3-dev
| libtiff-tools libtk-img libtiff4-dev tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tk8.4 tk8.4-dev
| a2ps libedit-dev libreadline4-dev tclreadline tetex-base tetex-bin
| tetex-extra

'apt-get build-dep r-base' is much easier, and possibly more complete :-)

That was a helpful post, though. Please send it to the list.

Cheers, Dirk

| And that's all I can remember now. Beware that this may take time,
| depending on your Internet connection.
|
| Let me know if you need more help.
|

| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 5 February 2005 at 14:25, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
| > | =?windows-1250?Q?Ale=9A_=8Eiberna?= <ales.ziberna at guest.arnes.si>
| >
| > There is really no need to do this, especially when you're new to
Linux. The

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers

--
U.M.A.
http://sophie.fata.unam.mx/