[R] Problems compiling (configure) R on Ubuntu linux (debian)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Feb 5 14:25:00 CET 2005

=?windows-1250?Q?Ale=9A_=8Eiberna?= <ales.ziberna at guest.arnes.si> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I would first like to appologice if this question does not fit on this
> mailing-list.
>
> I am new to Linux and I tried to compile R on my Ubuntu Warty linux. I
> followed the instructions in "R Installation and Administration" manual. It
> seams that there was a problem with "configure", since when running "make"
> afterward gave me this reply:
>     make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Presumably configure told you something before that?

> I have copied the content of the "config.log" at the end of the file. If
> someone would give me some instructions on how to read this file, I would be
> very grateful.
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Ales Ziberna

So you thought that sending 2800 lines  to 2000+ people probably
wouldn't bother anyone?

You seem to be lacking a Fortran compiler as configure is picking up
"fc" (which is bash's "fix command"), but we could have found that out
based on more concentrated output than the entire config.log.