[R] Runnning R remotely

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Wed Feb 2 18:29:25 CET 2005

Laura Quinn wrote:

>I wasn't aware that it was possible to use postscript in the same fashion
>as png, eg:
>
>png(file,width=x,height=y,)
>image(map)
>text(text)
>title(title)
>box()
>dev.off()
>
>As there are a large number of iterations png has been working nicely
>(when not working remotely!), especially as it has proven easy to convery
>into gifs and then into movie gifs. Could anyone suggest an alternative
>approach in this case?

Start an Xvfb (X11 virtual frame buffer) server in your remote ssh
session. R will then use that as an X11 device to produce the PNG
output. If you are running in a hostile network environment, consider
using authentication and/or switching off network access to the Xvfb
session - see the man pages for Xvfb. Xvfb is installed by default on
most recent Linux distributions - if not, there should be an installable
package available for it for your flavour of Linux.

Tim C