[R] postscript symbols?

Wed Feb 2 14:34:25 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 09:57 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 18:48 -0800, ivo_welch-rstat8303 at mailblocks.com
> > wrote:
> >> dear R wizards:
> >>
> >> is it possible to use a postscript font symbol as a plot symbol?    in
> >> particular, I want to use the four postscript symbols for playing cards
> >> (club, heart, spade, diamond) as points.  In LaTeX, these four are
> >>
> >> \Pisymbol{psy}{"A7} \Pisymbol{psy}{"A8}
> >> \Pisymbol{psy}{"A9} \Pisymbol{psy}{"A10}
> >>
> >> and what I would love to do is place them, at say, (x=1,y=1),
> >> (x=2,y=2), (x=3,y=3) and (x=4,y=4).  Help appreciated---or merely a
> >> note that this is impossible.
>
> Font 5 is the symbol font, so
>
> plot(1:5, type="n")
> points(1:4, 1:4, pch=167:170, font=5)
>
> does this (not in that order, but you can make the mapping from that plot).

That's definitely better.

Can font=5 be added to ?par since it is not there presently in the
details for 'font'.

After seeing the above, I had a recollection of a prior post from Prof.
Ripley on this, which I found here:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/32463.html

The only other places I found it mentioned was in the announcement for R
0.49:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelpold/archive/0042.html

and here:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/2358.html