[R] Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 18:16:27 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 00:34 +0800, Vincent Deng wrote:
> Hi,
> I got this error while using png() function in RedHat 9.0.
>
> "Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize
> unable to start device PNG"
>
> It looks like the system lacks some library for graphics. Can anyone
> tell me which rpm I should install to have png() function work with
> out problem?
>
> Thanks ...

How did you install R and which version of R are you running?

I am going to guess that you installed by compiling from source (since
RH9 RPMS are not available). This suggests that the error above is
because you do not have the required 'libpng*-devel' RPMS installed on
your system.

>From a console, type:

  rpm -qa libpng*

You will need to install the corresponding 'devel' rpm for each libpng
RPM that is returned and then recompile and reinstall R.

Are you able to display plots to the screen (X11 device) directly? If
not, you will also need to install the XFree86 related devel RPMS as
well.

On a side note, RH9 is a fairly dated and EOL'd distribution, with
security updates and bug patches only provided by the Fedora Legacy
folks (http://fedoralegacy.org). You should consider upgrading to Fedora
in the near future (if you want to stay with RH), since the FL folks can
drop support for RH9 at any time, leaving you vulnerable.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz